Monday, January 4, 2010

Ten Minute Free Write

This is an assignment that I will be doing weekly for my Writing class this term. I was kind of turned off by it when I first read the directions but found it to be fun and was a a release of what I was feeling. You are supposed to write whatever comes to mind (trying to stay on one topic but if you can't that's fine) for ten minutes, don't correct your grammar, if you can't think of anything to say then write "I can't think of anything to write." I found that it was helpful for me because I was able to put my thoughts and feelings into words and asses them and how I could overcome them.

I am overwhelmed. Today is January 4th, 2010 and it is the first day of classes at PCC. I am currently enrolled in 3 online courses; Health food and the Environment, Child Development and Writing. I thought it was going to be a breeze to sit at home all day, because I don't have a job, in my pajamas and do homework. I had no anticipation of feeling overwhelmed. I do though, I feel it a lot. I am a very organized person so I started writing every assignment for every class down in my planner, I felt sicker and sicker with each assignment. My calmness suddenly became a "Oh my gosh, I can't do this. It's too much!" Then I see that I have two assignments due TOMORROW! Now I am really overwhelmed. Yet here I am, after completing this I will have submitted 3 of four assignments due this week for writing, IN ONE DAY!! Woohoo. Maybe it won't be so bad. Then I think of all the other things I have to do in life. The dishes, laundry, Breakfast, lunch and Dinner, Vacuum, make the bed, go to church, spend time with my husband, babysit, spend time with family, blah blah blah. It is suddenly overwhelming again and I didn't even mention sleeping or showering! I can do this, one day and assignment at a time. I have people who love and support me in my quest for more knowledge of the things I have an interest in. I don't so much have an interest in writing but Children and Nutrition for sure! Writing to me is one of those things that is so very important to know how to do but not one of the things I necessarily want to spend my time learning or doing. Oh well! Here I am, no longer feeling overwhelmed but ready to jump into my homework.

1 comment:

Shawn and Tasha said...

I can totally relate to this post. I was just telling Shawn the other night how I miss my english classes where I could write and write and write. It's therapeutic for me, but never thought I'd ever say that with hours of homework! Way to go Sara!:)